Computer Scientist - Direct Hire
Company: Department Of The Treasury
Posted on: March 16, 2023
WHAT IS THE INFORMATION TECHNOLOGYDIVISION?
A description of the business units can be found at: https://www.jobs.irs.gov/about/who/business-divisions
Vacancies will be filled in the following specialty areas:
The following are the duties of this position at the full working level.
* Using broad Information Technology (IT) architectural principles, recognizes the need for and develops complex IS design and operations guidance documents and policies, including Service-wide information systems standards. Initiates and directs or conducts information systems studies which require broad expertise across several engineering/information systems disciplines.
* Leads projects to design, acquire, and implement major prototype and developmental systems or to make extensive modifications and upgrades to existing systems, taking into account changing requirements and interfaces, advances in technology, and evolving standards. Initiates and develops models, operational studies, and tests of comparability among a wide variety of information systems and IT components. Analyzes diverse information systems requirements to develop detailed functional requirements and contract specifications for systems, which solve complex or unusual problems.
* Coordinates with IT Architects, other systems developers, and functional areas within IRS to ensure information systems are properly integrated into the target architecture and transition plans.
* Consults and collaborates with other international experts from industry and other governments to develop IT policies and direction; represents IRS and the U.S. in national and international technical committees and consortia as a speaker and participant; and provides counsel on IS development to technical experts of other national governments.
* Provides advice and counsel to executive level managers on major IT technical issues. Considered a technical expert in his/her field of expertise and is often sought after by internal authorities for consultations, advice and guidance in the field of electronic communications and computer systems architecture.
Conditions of Employment
* If you are in a telework eligible position, you may be directed to temporarily telework on a full-time basis due to COVID 19. Employees must be within a 200-mile radius of their official assigned post-of-duty (POD) while in a telework status. Once normal operations resume, employees may be directed back to the office to perform the duties of their position. Telework eligibility does not guarantee telework; employees must meet and sustain IRS telework eligibility requirements and supervisor's approval to participate in the IRS Telework Program. As a reminder - If you are selected for a position, you are responsible for reporting to your designated POD (location) on the negotiated start date or as directed by management.
* Must be a U.S. Citizen or National and provide proof of U.S. Citizenship. (Birth certificate showing birth in the U.S; Unexpired U.S. Passport; Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization; or Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen (Form FS-240))
* Undergo a review of prior performance/conduct and an income tax verification. Refer to "Get Your Tax Record" at http://www.irs.gov/(https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript) to check the status of your account, balance owed, payment history, make a payment, or review answers to tax questions. If you are not in compliance, you will be determined unsuitable for employment with IRS.
* Must successfully complete a background investigation, including a FBI criminal history record check (fingerprint check).
* Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
* Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S. These documents must be unexpired original or certified copies.
Federal experience is not required. The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-timework is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
To be minimally qualified for Computer Scientist positions, you must meet the basic requirement: You must have a Bachelor's degree in computer science or bachelor's degree with 30 semester hours in a combination of mathematics, statistics, and computer science. At least 15 of the 30 semester hours must have included any combination of statistics and mathematics that included differential and integral calculus. All academic degrees and course work must be from accredited or pre-accredited institutions. Applicants should have sufficient knowledge to understand the fundamental concepts and techniques of computer science. Courses designed to provide an introduction to computer science techniques and methodologies, to problems of system design, and to other specialized fields are acceptable. Courses or experience in teaching elementary, business, or shop mathematics are not acceptable.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: In addition to the basic qualifications, you must have 1 year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes: Experience that demonstrates professional competence in applying the theoretical foundations of computer science, including computer system architecture and system software organization, the representation and transformation of information structures, and the theoretical models for such representation and transformations; Specialized knowledge of the design characteristics, limitations, and potential applications of systems having the ability to transform information, and of broad areas of applications of computing which have common structures, processes, and techniques; and Knowledge of relevant mathematical and statistical sciences. To be qualifying, your experience must be sufficient to demonstrate the ability to carry out advanced research involving artificial intelligence, emerging technologies or scientific phenomena to solve complex information technology problems within an organization; design, develop, program, debug, document, maintain, and reengineer software programs; identify and devise tests of viable technologies and demonstrating the use of new technologies as a solution to a problem.
For more information on qualifications please refer to OPM's Qualifications Standards.
For positions with an education requirement, or if you are qualifying for this position by substituting education or training for experience, submit a copy of your transcripts or equivalent. An official transcript will be required if you are selected.
A college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to Department of Education Accreditation page.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Click here for Foreign Education Credentialing instructions.
* A 1-year probationary period is required.
* Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
* If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
* We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies. Additional jobs may be filled.
* The salary range indicated in this announcement reflects the minimum locality pay up to maximum locality pay for all duty locations listed. The range will be adjusted for selected duty location. General Schedule locality pay tables may be found under Salaries & Wages.
* This is a non-bargaining unit position.
* Tour of Duty: Day Shift
* Alternative work schedule, staggered work hours or telework may be available.
* The employment of any candidate, including a current employee or a new hire, selected for this position will be conditional on obtaining and maintaining a High Risk Security Clearance.
* Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
Keywords: Department Of The Treasury, Hilo , Computer Scientist - Direct Hire, IT / Software / Systems , Hilo, Hawaii
here to apply!