Certified Nurse Assistant
Company: Yukio Okutsu State Veterans Home
Posted on: May 5, 2022
Job DescriptionJOB TITLE: Certified Nurse AssistantREPORTS TO:
Director of Nursing/Charge NurseDEPARTMENT: NursingFLSA STATUS:
Non-exempt/HourlyJOB SUMMARYPerform direct resident care duties
under the supervision of licensed nursing personnel. Assist with
promoting a compassionate physical and psychosocial environment for
the residents.Minimum Qualifications
- Must be a Certified Nursing Assistant in good standing with the
state, or must within four (4) months of employment successfully
complete state-required training and a competency evaluation
program. Must maintain a current certification in the state
- Must achieve 12 hours of in-service education annually as
required by federal regulations (as well as meet state
requirements, if exceeds federal).
- Must have ability to read, write and follow oral and written
directions at a level necessary to accomplish the job.
- Must be able to relate positively and favorably to residents
and families and to work cooperatively with co-workers and
- Must be willing to assist others, including co-workers.
- Must maintain regular attendance.
- Must meet all local health regulations, pass post-employment
physical exam if required. This requirement also includes drug
screening, criminal background investigation and reference
inquiry.Essential Job FunctionsObserve and practice safety
according to facility policy and procedure:
- Able to explain and demonstrate fire/emergency procedures and
must participate in any emergency or drill activities.
- Properly use and maintain facility equipment, reporting/taking
out of service any equipment with breakage or needed repairs.
- Show respect for facility property.
- Demonstrate and able to explain infection control and isolation
- Demonstrate and able to explain proper body mechanics in all
patient handling interactions & processes.
- Ensure residents are given correct diet.
- Use proper feeding techniques while respecting personal dignity
and meeting the residents' needs for socialization.
- Make beds correctly and wrinkle free.
- Maintain residents' rooms in neat, orderly and clutter-free
- Support residents' participation in activity programs by
assisting them (when needed) to the activity location; encourages
resident participation in activities.Promote and maintain positive
relationships with co-workers, residents, visitors, volunteers, and
- Directly respond, within the scope of practice, to needs and
concerns of residents and family members.
- Work with the care giving team to identify and resolve resident
and family issues.
- Promptly respond to call lights and other resident needs.
- Treat residents with compassion and dignity.
- Establish effective communication/interaction with residents
- Ensure residents' right to privacy (visual and auditory).
- Maintain confidentiality of resident and facility
- Show respect for residents' personal property.
- Ensure residents are dressed appropriately, consistent with
weather conditions, and according to their wishes.
- Recognize a resident's ability to make choices and support
these within the constraints of the care giving environment.
- Communicate with members of the care giving team about
residents' personal choices.
- Communicate residents' end of life concerns and wishes to the
- Is sensitive and appropriately responsive to each resident's
"end of life" wishes.Perform the following according to policy and
- Take and record temperature, pulse, respiration and blood
- Ambulate residents.
- Apply proper lifting and transferring techniques.
- Provide proper positioning and use of postural supports.
- Maintain residents' positioning, as needed.
- Weigh residents on schedule and record weights accurately.
- Provide restorative and rehabilitative nursing.
- Provide active and passive range of motion.
- Implement bowel and bladder program.
- Collect certain specimens for cultures pursuant to facility
policy and within the scope of duties.Ensure residents' comfort
while assisting them in achieving their highest practicable level
of functioning as follows:
- Assist residents with their activities of daily living.
- Provide oral care and hygiene pursuant to plan of care.
- Provide nail care pursuant to plan of care.
- Assist residents with dressing and grooming according to their
needs, wishes and desires.
- Bathe residents with attention to privacy, respecting dignity
and providing a safe and relaxing experience.Report the following
to the Charge Nurse and the care giving team as appropriate and/or
document according to policy and procedure:
- A significant change in a resident's condition, a change in a
resident's vital signs or weight, any accidents and injuries, any
changes in a resident's skin integrity, behavioral changes, signs
of resident depression or anxiety, changes in a resident's
ambulation status, the level of the resident's food consumption,
and the resident's intake of food and liquids as well as the
resident's output, when indicated.
- Participate in collecting data needed for the accurate
completion of the MDS and the plan of care.
- Show understanding of information that is provided by the ADL
- Provide input to the Nurses for development of the plan of
- Provide information gathered from care giving activities to the
- Assist in the orientation and training of other staff.
- Attend orientation, mandatory in-service and education programs
and staff meetings.Safety
- Comply with all Company safety policies, regulations and
requirements regarding fire and life safety.
- Comply with all Company safety policies regulations and
requirements involving employee safety and patient safety. This
includes but is not limited to: a zero tolerance for harassment and
violence; following infection control procedures; following safe
patient handling as required with your specific job position.
- May be required to assist in the evacuation of patients during
- Meet the general health requirements set forth by the policies
of this facility.Residents' Rights and Positive Relationships
- Understand, comply with and promote all rules and regulations
regarding residents' rights.
- Promote positive relationships with residents, visitors, and
regulators, to include presenting a professional
appearance.Physical and Sensory Requirements (With or Without Aid
of Mechanical Devices)This position is very active and requires:
- Walking, standing, reaching, bending, crouching, grasping,
pushing, pulling, and lifting.
- The ability to work at a rapid pace for an entire shift.
- The employee must frequently lift or move objects and patients
weighing up to 40 pounds. Following the patient care plan and using
a variety of equipment, the employee may frequently move,
reposition and transfer patients of varying weights up to 300
- Must have finger and hand dexterity sufficient to type, handle
and manipulate instruments and operate departmental equipment.
- Have a working understanding of English: ability to read and
write; ability to understand and follow written and oral
instructions; ability to verbally communicate with residents and
others; ability to hear and respond to pages.
- Ability to distinguish smells, tastes and temperatures.
- Ability to remain calm in emergency situations and when
handling multiple tasks.Other Functions and Responsibilities
- Must adhere to Code of Conduct and Business Ethics policy,
including documentation and reporting responsibilities.
- Participate in Quality Improvement activities as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned or needed.
- Ability to understand and apply training from in-service
education and ability to instruct personnel during training
education and staff meetings.
- This position regularly requires long hours and frequent
- This is a position in a health care facility open 24 hours a
day, 365 days a year. Rotating shifts as well as holiday and
working during inclement weather may be required.
Keywords: Yukio Okutsu State Veterans Home, Hilo , Certified Nurse Assistant, Healthcare , Hilo, Hawaii
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!